What to do in an Electrical Emergency?

What to Do in An Electrical Emergency?

Electricity – it’s a vital part of our lives but also one of the most dangerous. The lights, heating and appliances that make our homes comfortable can quickly become deadly in an electrical emergency.

Here are three examples, and what to do in them.

Electric shocks

This occurs when someone touches live electricity, such as cutting through old wiring. An electric shock can be a quick, painful scare or a life-threatening injury. It can cause serious burns and loss of consciousness.



If you suspect someone has had an electric shock, it is critical to do the following:

– Call an ambulance if you suspect serious injury (they are unconscious or burnt).

– Ensure the person is no longer touching the electrical source that shocked them – if they are, then anyone touching them will be affected.

– Turn off all electricity in your home and unplug appliances before approaching the person.

– Be especially careful of water (for example, a wet hairdryer in the bathroom).

– Check if they are conscious, if not, begin CPR while waiting for the ambulance.

– Treat any minor electrical burns by running the area under cold water for 20 minutes and covering it with a thin, clean bandage. Be careful not to use towels or blankets, which have fibres that may adhere to the burn.

 

Once the person is out of harm and receiving treatment, call an emergency electrician to assess the safety of your home.

There are numerous places an electrical fire could occur in your home – at a damaged power outlet, from a faulty appliance, or even from the wiring in the walls. It is important to recognise advance warning signs of an electrical fire.

If the fire is significant, call the fire department and evacuate immediately. Turn off all power from your electric-mains switch, if safe to do so.


If the fire is small:

– Use a fire extinguisher, if available. Water or foam will only make the electrical fire worse. Use only a carbon dioxide (CO2) or ABE dry-chemical extinguisher.

– Baking soda can also be used to extinguish small fires.


Once the fire is out, call a licensed electrician to investigate the cause and damage

Power outages

A blackout or temporary loss of power to your home isn’t necessarily an electrical emergency – but can become one if it’s due to a broken power line or (more rarely) a direct lightning strike.


If a power line has fallen in or by your home:

– Do not approach it, and ensure no one else does. An electric shock from a power line can instantly kill.

– Call the emergency services.


In the rare instance a lightening-strike directly hits an appliance or your fuse box:

– Call emergency services.

– Do not attempt to turn your power main switch on.

Need your Wires Checked? Call Laguna Electrical Today!

It’s vital to know how to prevent electrical emergencies, and what to do if they occur.

A qualified electrician can help assess your home for safety and risk, and investigate the source of electrical fires and shocks.

Laguna Electrical Services are ready to help and are available 24/7 for emergencies in the Sunshine Coast and North Brisbane areas.

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Call Now ButtonCall Now: (07) 5473 0422